the History of Paper
on the Web
What's New? / About this Site / Suggest a Site
Return to the main Site Links Index
Paper and the History of Paper
is an educational resource and portal link to the paper world.
- British association of Paper Historians
Provides a wide array of information on many aspects of paper history.
- The Art of Papermaking is part of an exhibit of Maps at the Louisiana State Museum
- Paper Identification Database
An open database in the Internet for collecting data for paper characterisation and documentation.
- Lin Hsin Hsin Art Museum (Singapore)
Paper Workshop - Introduction - The Artist and paper (Brief history of papermaking)
Papermaking / Paper Mills
- Paper Museum - Tokyo (Japan)
- Ancient Papermaking - Dongkou Village Papermaking Village (China)
- Basel Paper Mill (Switzerland)
- Crane Museum of Papermaking (U.S.A.)
- Hansol Paper Museum (Korea)
- Paper Road of Tibet - preserving traditional papermaking in Tibet (site no longer available ?)
- Art As Essential: Paper Road/Tibet By Jane Farmer
(1999 Article about the project from Maryland printmakers)
- Appeal for the The Paper Road/Tibet Project
from the the Crossing Over Consortium, Inc.
- Traditional Paper Making in Nepal by Rich Rotto
- Paper In Wisconson
from the Wisconsin Paper Council includes information about paper and the history of paper and papermaking.
- Inveresk PLC (a UK paper manufacturer)
- Learn about Paper (history and modern manufacture)
- Awagami Factory - Traditional Japanese Paper Mill
- Washi - Japanese Paper
Back to Index
Back to Index
- The Thomas L. Gravell Watermark Archive
A large searchable online electronic database of photographic reproductions of watermarks in paper made between 1400 and 1835
- Thomas Gravell Watermark Collection
at the University of Delaware Library, Special Collections Department
- Archive of Papers and Watermarks in Greek Manuscripts
by Robert W. Allison - Bates College, Lewiston, Maine, USA
- The Watermark Initiative
A WWW-based distributed database system for the registration and description of papers and watermarks
Hosted by - Bates College, Lewiston, Maine, USA
- A Digital Catalogue of Watermarks and other Type Ornaments used by William Stansby in the printing of The Works of Ben Johnson (1616) from the Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities (IATH)
- Koninklijke Bibliotheek - National Library of the Netherlands
Houses one of the worlds greatest collections of books and manuscripts.
- Watermarks in Incunabula printed in the Low Countries (WILC) a searchable database of watermark images and information.
- Woollard & Henry Ltd. was founded in 1873 in Scotland and is the only remaining Dandy Roll/Cylinder Mould manufacturer in the UK. The company manufactures and supplies rolls, moulds, watermarks and all ancillary equipment for running these, to paper mills all over the world.
Additional Guides to Paper Resources
Paperonline - Links
an educational resource and portal link to the paper world.
- Webguide to the World of Handmade Paper by Dieter Freyer